Wow! If you had doubts about Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska, those doubts should have been dashed by her introductory remarks in Dayton, Ohio yesterday. She delivered on so many levels, let's see if I can begin to list them all.
- Reformer, she has kicked tush on ethics and legal violations both among elected officials and within her own party. She is a take no prisoners public servant who has proved that she can fearlessly take on the political establishment (read Joe Biden).
- Electable, she beat an entrenched incumbent Republican Governor and is the most popular Governor in the country with an almost 80% approval rating in her state.
- 2nd Amendment, she is a lifetime NRA member who hunts and fishes
- Pro-Family and Pro-Life, she can't be better on this... the fact that she has five children including a down syndrome son born last April is a testament to her convictions. From Phyllis Schlafly's web site: Governor Palin is married to her high-school sweetheart Todd Palin.
They are the parents of five children, Track, 18, who is currently serving in
the United States Army; Bristol, 17; Willow, 13; Piper, 6; and Trig, 4 months.
When Trig, who was diagnosed in-utero with Down Syndrome, was born in April, Governor Palin said in a statement, "Trig is beautiful and already adored by us." "We knew through early testing he would face special challenges, and we feel privileged that God would entrust us with this gift and allow us
unspeakable joy as he entered our lives." "We have faith that every baby is
created for good purpose and has potential to make this world a better place. We are truly blessed."
- Strong Military, her son goes to Iraq on September 11th and she serves as the Commander of the Alaska National Guard. She has been to Iraw three times... Obama? twice...
- Energy, Alaska is one of the centers of energy supply, and she is not just strong on oil and gas... she is promoting wind, tidal, and other energy alternatives. She sees the creation of the state of Alaska as her charter to recover the energy resources of the state for the USA.
- Tax Cutter and Fiscal Responsibilty, she cut property taxes and pork... including the Bridge to NoWhere in the face of the Senior Republican Senator from Alaska Ted Stevens! She is the Veto Queen in Alaska.
- Executive Experience, Media Experience (Journalism Degree and on air reporting), etc.
- Oh yeah, she's a WOMAN... which is historic and pretty much deflates the democrats who thought they should have a woman on their ticket. I'm also guessing that Biden is going to feel a little handcuffed... not because he will feel the need to be nicer to a woman, but because he will be trying very hard not to be condescending to her in his comments to about her or to her during debates. My bet is he will not be able to help himself and will stick his foot into his mouth in short order... were betting legal in our state I would set up a betting pool to determine what date this will happen... of course any winnings would be donated to charity...
- Experience, she has more relevant experience than Barack Obama (who felt compelled to pick Biden to shore up his need for Foreign Policy experience; McCain doesn't need that shoring up... and oh yeah, Governor Palin negotiates with Russia on fishing and oil exploration rights... I don't think even Clinton had that as a Governor from the small state of Arkansas...
I'm pretty excited. I think this will energize the Repbulican base that has been lukewarm to John McCain.